Getting a US Visa

US Visa in Thailand

How to Get a Marriage Visa

To get a marriage visa (CR-1 or IR-1 visa), you need to:

  • Pay the fees.
  • Obtain a petition via the US or alien relative, and have it approved.
  • Get a copy of the passport of the US citizen in the marriage, and make sure all the pages are included.
  • Get a copy of the certificate of marriage.
  • If applicable, get a copy of the paperwork that shows all previous marriages have been terminated. These documents may include a death certificate or divorce documentation.
  • Present paperwork that shows you and your US spouse are legally married.

U.S. Tourist Visa

If you wish to do business in the US or travel leisurely, you need to apply for a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa. While the B-1 visa covers people who wish to conduct professional or business activities in the US, the B-2 visa is designed for leisure travelers. Often, both visas are combined so the applicant can have all his or her business and leisure travel requirements covered.

How to Obtain a Tourist Visa

To obtain a visitor visa, you must:

  • State the purpose of your US trip, and show that you only plan to stay temporarily.
  • Indicate that your stay will only last for a certain period.
  • Show that you have the money to cover trip expenses.
  • Prove that you have a Thai residence and that you plan to return home.

You can apply for a visitor visa, by going online and using the DS-160 to apply.

Adjustment of Status

If you wish to work or live in the US, an adjustment of status is required. This process is also known as applying for a US green card. When you choose this form of immigration, you do not have to travel back to Thailand or go through visa processing. An adjustment of status pertains to Thai people who wish to immigrate permanently and work in the US.

Contact an Immigration Specialist

As you can see, applying for a visa or green card can become complicated if you do not turn to someone who is experienced in immigration legal matters in Thailand. When you contact a lawyer about obtaining a visa or green card, you need to state your reason for traveling, or immigrating to the US. Give him or her full details about the purpose of your trip or entry onto US soil. Doing so will ensure an easier transition when immigrating or traveling in the US.